Friday, January 23, 2015

Disney Concept Art : The Mary Blair Exhibit

I had the pleasure of going to the Mary Blair Exhibit at the Walt Disney Family Museum last year. I always found the traditional cell animation of Disney so beautiful and still watch the old classics just to look at the background, so of course I had to see the wonder concept work behind Mary Blair. It was sad that most of her work didn't make it into the public eye, but this exhibit traced her art from its traditional roots where she learned proper technique, to her breaking all the rules with vivid color, and to the design of the Small Small World Ride.

I thought I'd share some of the photos I did manage to take. I have gotten out of the habit of living behind the camera and really took the time to sit and enjoy the work. We also got to enjoy a little corner of Marc Davis's work too!

Marc Davis



Mary Blair




One of my favorite pieces. I would love to hang this right over my bed and dream of Neverland



The Three Caballeros

These works were heavily inspired by her trip to South America.







Cinderella

And last but not least, one of my all time favorites




Hope you enjoyed seeing her work!
Keep in touch everyone,
Laine

No comments:

Post a Comment