Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Conclusion of "Four Seasons of Ombre": Autumn Aria & Winter Waltz


Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I wrote a post. Between finishing the Spring Semester and visiting family, I have been bouncing all over the country. During my actual travels, I did not get as much sewing done as usual because I chose to spend more time with people than dolls. It was actually a first for me. I usually get so much done on trains and planes. But without further ado, I'll introduce Autumn and Winter:

Autumn Aria:
Autumn Aria is inspired by the forest and warmth of the changing of colors. Originally, I was very nervous to use vivid saturated colors, especially those in red. With the encouragement of Paula (from http://www.allbearbypaula.com/) who took the time to show me some of her vividly colored bears, I was able to take the plunge and dye the lower half of Autumn a cayenne red. Naturally being fall, I thought of school, so her sailor collar and headpiece reflect that of a school girl's.

Being a little heavier on the top, she was a little harder to photograph than Spring and Summer.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Winter Waltz

With this little fairy, she's full of longing to sprint and play. She is made of blue and a teal/kelly green ombre. For the longest time, I didn't know if I would make her a princess, ice queen, fairy, rpg inspired etc. Eventually I settled on something other than the conventional blues and whites of winter. I incorporated greens from the ice palace of Jessica Day George's Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow (a retelling of a Norwegian folk tale).

Armed with a new phone, it was much easier to take progress photos. As much as I love my DSLR, it can be quite heavy on the neck and hands during extended times. From sewing to felting, you can go step by step with me. I also had the pleasure of livestreaming the face felting for a few people. In the middle of the night, I had to remember how I made felt roses the last time and after 3 that were scrapped, I got the hang of it again.


Then the most important parts of her story: the wings and collar. Inspired by the high collars seen on queens in animate movies, I made a high back collar with a ribbon tie. I debated on how to add her wings and eventually settled for attaching them on the collar. They can be moved and pinned to show various stages of flight.


I can just see her reaching for the sky.

Now I have come full circle with Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. With each piece I tried something that I've never done before, and I have to say, overall, I am pleased. I will have to take a break fro making bunnies for a while.

Until next time (a Canadian goose),
Laine

No comments:

Post a Comment